312-332-2915 Email Us
blog home Child Support State Tells Parents who are Behind on Child Support to Pay Up

State Tells Parents who are Behind on Child Support to Pay Up

By Leslie Fineberg on January 16, 2015

Chicago Family LawWhen a parent falls behind on child support payments, the government has ways to help the custodial parent to get that money. For example, if someone is overdue on child support and then wins a significant amount of money at a local casino, the authorities can step in and collect those winnings. According to a news report in The Chicago Sun Times, The Child Support Intercept program collected over $120,000 in gambling winnings from delinquent parents since it began in the fall of 2014.

The Child Support Intercept program is a coordinated joint effort between the Illinois Gaming Board and the Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services. They have the authority to intercept winnings once they become aware that someone who owes money on child support has earned enough to fill out a W2G tax form. A specified maximum is withheld after taxes and that amount can be sent to the family.

This is just one of many ways in which a custodial parent can obtain child support from a delinquent parent. If your ex is behind on payments, you can work with an Illinois family law attorney to ask the court for unpaid child support. If the court agrees and finds that the non-custodial parent has not paid the child support, the court can choose how much the non-custodial parent must pay you. That is called an arrearage.

You can also send a notice to withhold income for support. This means that the non-custodial spouse will have money taken straight from his or her paycheck. As a custodial parent, you can even send a new notice to withhold income for support to the non-custodial parent and their employer that includes how much was missed and how much must be paid to make up for missed support.

There are a number of options to help custodial parents and their children get the support they need. If you need help obtaining the child support you are due, please do not hesitate to discuss your options with an Illinois family law attorney.

Related Articles:

Posted in: Child Support

We are proud sponsors of Little Black Pearl Art and Design Center.

To learn more, click here.

Proud Member of Friends of the Chicago River.

To learn more, click here.

Client Reviews

5 Leslie has been the strongest representation I could ask for

Leslie has been the strongest representation I could ask for in a very complicated, emotional matter. She has continuously looked out for my best interest and the best interest of my son. She is always prompt in getting back to me and in keeping me well informed about my case.

Read More Client Reviews

We have the experience.

We are knowledgeable about financial issues. We are experienced in child custody problems and sensitive to the overall needs of the client.

We have the experience to negotiate complex financial issues. The brain trust to maneuver contentious divorce litigation. And the sensitivity and skill to resolve highly charged custody issues.

Contact Us

Where We

Our practice is concentrated in Cook, DuPage, Lake, Will, Kankakee and McHenry counties.

Nottage and Ward, LLP  | 
10 N. Dearborn, 11th Floor, Chicago, IL 60602

Chicago Illinois Divorce Attorney Disclaimer: The legal information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice, nor the formation of a lawyer or attorney client relationship. Any results set forth herein are based upon the facts of that particular case and do not represent a promise or guarantee. Please contact an attorney for a consultation on your particular legal matter. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the state of Illinois.

Site design by Two by Four.
Build and Marketing by SLS Consulting | Blog Sitemap