312-332-2915 Email Us
home services child support delinquent child support & arrears

Chicago Child Support Arrears Attorneys

Call (312) 332-2915 With Concerns About Child Support Delinquency

Child support ensures that children of divorce are provided for and are able to maintain stability and quality of life after their parents separate. Often, the custodial parent receiving support counts on timely child support payments to pay the bills and handle everyday expenses that come with raising children. When those payments stop coming, it can be difficult to buy food, clothes, and other essential items.

Child support delinquency is a serious problem for many Chicago families; however, there are legal options available that can help. Whether you are a parent who is not receiving payments or a parent who hasn't made the payments, our Chicago child support lawyers may be able to help you.

Back to Top

What is Considered Delinquent?

The parent who is obligated to pay child support is considered delinquent when they fail to make child support payments as required under the child support order agreement. The delinquency is the total amount of money due that must be paid by the non-custodial parent. But, the court will not automatically step in to make the delinquent parent pay up. The parent who is owed money must take action to ask for help securing the payments.

When the court is notified that a parent has fallen behind on payments, the court will determine the amount of delinquent child support that is owed. This amount is called an "arrearage." Once the court steps in and determines the arrearage, it creates several legal options for the parent receiving support.

Back to Top

Enforcing a Child Support Order in Chicago

If the obligated parent is employed, the court will most likely order that the child support payments be withheld directly from his/her paycheck. This is done by sending a Notice to Withhold Income for Support to the non-custodial parent's employer.

If the parent receiving support does not wish to garnish wages from the non-custodial parent's wages (yes, there are limited circumstances where this may not be a good option), or if the obligated parent is self-employed or his/her sources of income are not known, there are other options to pursue. For example, one can file a Petition for Rule to Show Cause in court. If it can be shown to the court that the obligated parent has violated the court order to pay child support, the court may hold him or her in contempt of court. This could help you secure not only what is owed, in addition to interest on the payments missed.

Back to Top

Contacting an Experienced Chicago Child Support Lawyer

No family should go without the court-ordered payments that they need. If the non-custodial parent of your son or daughter has fallen behind on child support payments, contact our Chicago family law attorney right away.

Call Nottage and Ward, LLP at (312) 332-2915 to schedule your no-obligation consultation and have your case evaluated by one of our experienced attorneys.

Back to Top

Additional Information

We are proud sponsors of Little Black Pearl Art and Design Center.

To learn more, click here.

Proud Member of Friends of the Chicago River.

To learn more, click here.

Client Reviews

5 Leslie has been the strongest representation I could ask for

Leslie has been the strongest representation I could ask for in a very complicated, emotional matter. She has continuously looked out for my best interest and the best interest of my son. She is always prompt in getting back to me and in keeping me well informed about my case.

Read More Client Reviews

We have the experience.

We are knowledgeable about financial issues. We are experienced in child custody problems and sensitive to the overall needs of the client.

We have the experience to negotiate complex financial issues. The brain trust to maneuver contentious divorce litigation. And the sensitivity and skill to resolve highly charged custody issues.

Contact Us

Where We

Our practice is concentrated in Cook, DuPage, Lake, Will, Kankakee and McHenry counties.

Nottage and Ward, LLP  | 
10 N. Dearborn, 11th Floor, Chicago, IL 60602

Illinois Lawyer Disclaimer: The legal information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice, nor the formation of a lawyer or attorney client relationship. Any results set forth herein are based upon the facts of that particular case and do not represent a promise or guarantee. Please contact a lawyer for a consultation on your particular family law matter. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the state of Illinois.

Site design by Two by Four.
Build and Marketing by SLS Consulting | Sitemap