Chicago Family Law Firm
Meeting With Nottage and Ward, LLP
1. Bring a list of your property, assets, debts, and other financial information that you know about.
If you don’t have any of this information, we can obtain it for you as the process moves forward. If possible, bring financial documents and records for the Chicago divorce attorney to review during the initial consultation. Include as many of the following documents as possible:
- recent pay stubs
- tax returns for the past 3-5 years
- bank statements and credit card statements
- pension and any other retirement and employment benefits either you or your spouse is entitled to receive, including year end bonuses, health insurance, and life insurance
- copies of deeds to real property and statements of any mortgages or equity loans that are due
2. Make a list of all of your questions for the attorney.
No question is too small or too trivial.
3. Think about how you would like to see your life after your divorce is over.
What is your wish list? What issues are important to you and what issues are not?
4. Think about your spouse’s strengths and weaknesses as a parent.
Do you both act in the children’s best interests? Why or why not?
This is an emotion-packed process. Get yourself ready.
1. Create a personal support team.
Look to family, friends, therapists, and clergy to provide the kind of support system you need to get through your divorce.
2. Postpone big decisions.
It may be tempting, but do not pursue high-impact decisions. Give yourself the time and resolution of your situation to address switching jobs, moving, etc.
3. Don't move out of your marital residence.
Do not move out of the family residence without first discussing it with your lawyer.
4. Take care of yourself.
While you are taking care of the business aspects of your divorce, you must also take care of yourself. Have a medical and dental examination. If possible, undergo any medical treatments, which are needed or anticipated in the near future if they are covered under your spouse's insurance.