blog home Child Allocation The Dangers of Child Abduction After a Divorce

The Dangers of Child Abduction After a Divorce

By Nottage and Ward on July 19, 2021

One of the most terrifying situations a parent can go through is having their child taken away. Divorces can be messy, emotional affairs, but there are proper, legal channels to settle child allocation disputes. There is no excuse for denying one parent their allotted time with their child or threatening to relocate the child. In the state of Illinois, this can constitute a case of child abduction or parental kidnapping.

Parental Kidnapping vs. Child Abduction

Parental kidnapping is a form of child abduction, based on Illinois Compiled Statute Sec. 10-5. A parent is guilty of child abduction if he or she:

  • Violates court-ordered child allocation, such as withholding a child from joint custody;
  • Violates a court order that prevents him/her from taking or relocating the child;
  • Conceals, detains, or removes a child from the other parent before child allocation is settled by the court;
  • Does not return a child after his/her allotted parenting time has expired; or
  • Conceals the location of a child for at least 15 days from the other parent and makes no effort to return the child.

How Illinois Courts Respond to Child Abduction Cases

Illinois courts take child abduction cases extremely seriously. It is no longer considered a custody dispute, but a child welfare situation. The court can use considerable resources to return the child to safety and punish the offending parent. Even if the guilty parent leaves the state with the child, the court may work with multiple departments across state lines to track them down and safely return the child.

Child abduction is a Class 4 Felony that can result in three to six years in prison, depending on the factors in the case. The other parent may also receive a restraining order for their child against the guilty parent to prevent future incidents.

What If My Ex Threatens to Take My Child Away?

Parents who have court-ordered joint custody cannot take a child away from the other parent or leave the state without the other parent’s consent, as it is a violation of a court order. If your ex is threatening to violate parenting time, keep your child away from you, or take your child to another state, then you should speak to an attorney about reporting it to a family law court. You may be able to request an emergency order of allocation or a restraining order to protect your child. You should also keep a record of your ex’s statements, either copies of text messages, emails, or letters, as well as photos of your ex and your child to show the authorities in case the worst happens.

At Nottage and Ward, LLP, our Chicago child allocation attorneys can outline all of your legal options and advocate for the safety of your child. To discuss your case with our legal team, call (312) 332-2915 as soon as possible.

Related Articles:

Posted in: Child Allocation

Little Black Pearl The Business of ArtWe are proud sponsors of Little Black Pearl Art and Design Center.

To learn more, click here.

Friends of the Chicago RiverProud Member of Friends of the Chicago River.

To learn more, click here.

Client Reviews

Five Stars5 Leslie has been the strongest representation I could ask for

Leslie has been the strongest representation I could ask for in a very complicated, emotional matter. She has continuously looked out for my best interest and the best interest of my son. She is always prompt in getting back to me and in keeping me well informed about my case.

Read More Client Reviews

Avvo Top Contributor Family Law - Jeffrey Knipmeyer
Avvo Top Contributor Divorce Law - Jeffrey Knipmeyer