Attorney Jeffrey Knipmeyer Discusses Issues Surrounding Divorce and Economy
Jeffrey Knipmeyer, an experienced family law attorney with the Illinois law firm Nottage and Ward, understands the impact of economic recession on married couples more than most. Financial issues are a common cause for divorce, but the difficult financial state of some married couples may have other effects, including the postponement of divorce and even the decision for recently divorced couples to cohabitate until they obtain financial security individually. Living with your ex can be very stressful, which is why it is important to keep a few ground rules in mind. The Huffington Post offers these five tips for cohabitating with your ex while still trying to move on with your life:
- Plan out who pays for what. Financial issues may have been a factor in your divorce, and they can continue to create problems. The last thing you want is a stressful and even hostile living arrangement.
- Be considerate. Clean up after yourself, always ask to use something that is not yours and just generally practice good manners.
- Moving on romantically is fine, just not at the house. Do not put your former spouse in a position where he or she has to see or meet your new romantic partner; this is part of being considerate of their thoughts and feelings.
- Do not fall back into old habits. Loneliness is a powerful force, but resist appeasing it with your ex. Falling into old habits will just make it harder for you to move on.
- Be focused on your new life. Living with your ex makes it difficult to move on, but you need to focus on preparing yourself emotionally and financially when you can finally be on your own.
There are many factors that impact marriage and divorce, but financial problems tend to have the most altering consequences. As a knowledgeable divorce lawyer in Chicago, Jeffrey Knipmeyer recognizes that the impact of financial problems can vary between every couple and is committed to helping each determine the best course of action for their relationship. To learn more about how the family law team at Nottage and Ward can help you, contact us for a consultation at (312) 332-2915.
We are proud sponsors of Little Black Pearl Art and Design Center.
To learn more, click here.
Proud Member of Friends of the Chicago River.
To learn more, click here.
5 Leslie has been the strongest representation I could ask for
Leslie has been the strongest representation I could ask for in a very complicated, emotional matter. She has continuously looked out for my best interest and the best interest of my son. She is always prompt in getting back to me and in keeping me well informed about my case.
Read More Client Reviews