home services lgbtq family law child support

Chicago LGBTQ+ Child Support Attorneys

Speak With Our LGBTQ+ Family Lawyers in Chicago

LGBTQ+ family law in Chicago is a rapidly evolving area of law. With the recent legalization of same-sex marriage in Illinois, more and more couples seek to formalize their relationships and protect their families. LGBTQ+ family law attorneys in Chicago are experienced in handling various legal issues affecting LGBTQ+ couples and families, including adoption, child custody, divorce, and surrogacy.

Fortunately, many organizations in Chicago are working to help LGBTQ+ families navigate the legal landscape. These organizations can provide resources and support to help families with everything from custody disputes to estate planning. Additionally, many of these organizations are working to change the law in Illinois to better recognize and protect the rights of LGBTQ+ families. With their help, LGBTQ+ families in Chicago can start to enjoy the same legal rights and protections as other families in the state.

There are many different types of legal issues that can arise for LGBTQ+ families, and it can be challenging to keep up with all of the changes. A Chicago LGBTQ+ family lawyer can help you navigate the legal system. Contact Nottage and Ward, LLP at (312) 332-2915 to speak with a lawyer about your case today!

Back to Top

Difficulties Facing LGBTQ+ Couples

There are several difficulties that LGBTQ+ couples face that heterosexual couples do not. For one, same-sex couples are not legally recognized in many places, which means they are not afforded the same rights and protections as heterosexual couples. This can make things like adopting children or getting married difficult, if not impossible. Additionally, LGBTQ+ couples often face discrimination and violence simply because of their relationship. Sometimes, finding housing or keeping a job become more difficult as a result. Many LGBTQ+ couples feel they have to hide their relationship from family and friends due to the stigma associated.

Back to Top

Child Support Differences for Dissolving Marriage vs. Civil Unions

The child's best interests are always the top priority for state courts when determining child custody and support arrangements. It is generally accepted that children benefit from having relationships with both parents in civil unions and divorcing couples, and the courts usually push for joint agreements.

In most civil union cases, the parent not awarded physical custody of a child will be ordered to pay child support to the custodial parent. However, if there are issues of domestic violence or abuse present, it could affect the outcome of custody and support proceedings.

If one parent has a biological relationship with the child, and the other parent marries them after the child is born, the situation can be more complicated. In that case, the non-biological parent must have taken steps to adopt the child or obtain a parentage judgment to have custody or visitation rights. However, a court may order a non-biological parent who has not adopted the child or obtained a parentage judgment to pay child support.

Many different types of child support payments exist for heterosexual couples. The most common is for the non-custodial parent to make regular payments to the custodial parent, though, in some cases, one parent may be ordered to pay a lump sum to the other parent. This can be ordered by the court or agreed upon by the parents.

Child support payments are typically based on the income of the non-custodial parent. However, many other factors can be considered, like the number of children involved and the needs of the children. Child support can be complex, so you must seek legal advice if you have any questions.

Back to Top

What is Child Support?

Child support is a payment made by a non-custodial parent to the custodial parent for the support of their child. The amount is generally ordered by a court and is based on the child's needs and the non-custodial parent's ability to pay. In most cases, child support is paid until the child reaches the age of 18. Child support payments are generally made monthly but can be made more or less often depending on the situation. The payment can be made directly to the custodial parent, or it can be paid through an agency. An administrative agency may also order child support.

Back to Top

Hire a Chicago Lawyer for Your Child Support Case

If you are embroiled in a child custody case where child support is involved, you should strongly consider hiring a lawyer. Child custody cases can be incredibly complex, and a lawyer can help you navigate the legal system and protect your rights. A lawyer at Nottage and Ward, LLP, can also help you gather evidence and build a strong custody case. Finally, a lawyer at Nottage and Ward, LLP, can give you the best chance of success if you are facing a brutal custody battle. Call us today at (312) 332-2915.

Back to Top

Little Black Pearl The Business of ArtWe are proud sponsors of Little Black Pearl Art and Design Center.

To learn more, click here.

Friends of the Chicago RiverProud Member of Friends of the Chicago River.

To learn more, click here.

Client Reviews

Five Stars5 Leslie has been the strongest representation I could ask for

Leslie has been the strongest representation I could ask for in a very complicated, emotional matter. She has continuously looked out for my best interest and the best interest of my son. She is always prompt in getting back to me and in keeping me well informed about my case.

Read More Client Reviews

Avvo Top Contributor Family Law - Jeffrey Knipmeyer
Avvo Top Contributor Divorce Law - Jeffrey Knipmeyer